Under the hood AON3D printers are sophisticated robotic platforms which are programmed to produce great results and a seamless user experience. To achieve this we employ a wide range of motion planning, control, and computational algorithms.
We are looking for a Firmware Developer who can fuse high-performance software algorithms and robotic control to build world-class printer control software. We’re working to reinvent additive manufacturing to enable designers, engineers, and researchers all around the world to more easily make their visions a reality. Previous projects have included automatic bed levelling, serial communications optimization, PID control tuning and more. You will have plenty of opportunities to work on all areas of our codebase and make significant changes that will help steer the company growth and make sweeping impacts for our users.
AON3D makes affordable industrial 3D printers designed for printing high performance thermoplastics, including PEEK, PEKK, ULTEM™ 9085, polycarbonate and more. The AON-M2, its flagship 3D printer, is a direct response to demands for hotter print conditions and the careful thermal control needed for producing strong and dimensionally stable parts from advanced materials. Most importantly, it offers an open filament platform that empowers users to choose the right materials for their project and slash costs by avoiding expensive proprietary materials and license fees.
AON3D is dedicated to ensuring designers and engineers have greater access to cutting edge materials and affordable 3D printers so they can drive tomorrow's innovation today.
Why work at AON3D?
- Be a part of building something historic
- A casual work environment with a young and dynamic team: leave the suit and tie at home!
- Open space office to support a collaborative working environment and facilitate communication
- All you can drink coffee from Café Union
- Dog-friendly work environment
- Team lunches, snack station, group activities, interest groups, and more!
- Identify, prioritize, execute, and distribute tasks in the software development life cycle
- Collaborate with our software and hardware teams to take features from concept to ship
- Focus on building features related to computational geometry, toolpathing, and algorithms
- Develop and present technical designs based on product requirements and feature requests
- Rapidly write code, tests, and interfaces that implement technical designs
- Demonstrate and present prototypes
- Stay up-to-date with current developments in additive manufacturing technology and be aware of how our printers function
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering or relevant field of study
- 3+ years working with embedded systems
- Experience working on a mission-critical codebase. We're not making rockets, but in some cases, our machines are making parts that do go in them!
- Proficiency with C, C++, and/or another low-level language
- Have a passion for firmware and embedded electronics
- Fully comfortable working in a shell on some flavor of *nix
- Experience with git-based workflows
- Excited to understand the greater hardware and software systems that your work will be used in. Excellent solutions come from deep understanding of the problem space
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Enjoy collaborating with other developers to help them succeed and writing documentation
- Excellent knowledge of technical language (English fluency is an asset)
- Independence and ability to multitask and prioritize
The following qualifications are not required but we will give special consideration to candidates who possess the following competencies.
- Understand CI/CD principles and know how to use build tools (e.g., CircleCI)
- Strong opinions on code and architecture with reasons to back them up!
- Experience in 3D printing, robotics, or in a similar industry